“Icebreaker One is one of the top 20 agents of change in the path towards a digital ecosystem for sustainability”United Nations Environment Programme
Imagine, at the point of investment, that an investor could mandate the data-flows to demonstrate net-zero at the points of design, construction, operation and decommissioning in a manner that they could apply incentives to hold each stage to account on provable net-zero delivery.
Develop the data infrastructure to deliver a demonstrably net-zero future
Influence investment decisions of $3.6T/year to deliver net-zero or net-negative outcomes by 2030 by unlocking the data infrastructure needed to address climate change.
Make data-at-scale work harder to enable climate-ready financing
Unlock standards-based marketplaces for environmental & financial data and leveraged finance for innovation.
Reduce the cost and friction associated with moving data across organisations and markets.
Help instrument net-zero by connecting policy, strategy, risk management and investment to real-world data to:
- Enable climate-ready financial instruments
- Enable climate-aware risk management
- Enable climate-credible deployment of robust, long-term solutions
Icebreaker One is trying to work out how to rapidly evolve our financial and energy systems to embed net-zero into all investment in a manner that is demonstrable, provable and uses data to hold organisations to account.
Cygnus is looking at how ‘economic recovery’ money can be directed to net-zero. Open Energy is looking at how we can share information across the entire energy grid to keep the lights on and drive towards net-zero. SERI is looking at how insurance can be a lever of change by ensuring that things like net-zero solutions can actually be protected (e.g. some insurers won’t insure EV) and drive change so that net-destructive industries are no longer viable.
- SERI — Standard for Environmental Risk and Insurance
- Open Energy — building the web of energy data
- Cygnus — determining how to finance net-zero COVID-19 economic recovery
Benefits & outcomes
- Address the business models, legal and policy (e.g. rights, licensing, security, liability, regulation) of data sharing
- Develop & share the required expertise and change in knowledge, practice and culture
- Improve the provision, reliability and trust of data publishing
- Develop policy frameworks that address climate-specific interventions across the financial ecosystem
- Unlock the data ecosystem across global sensors, satellites, internet of things (IoT), geospatial, asset registries, risk reporting, trading schemes and financial instruments
- Enable data discovery (e.g. data search) at web-scale: lay the foundations for the web of environmental data
Outputs & activities — instrumenting net-zero
We convene multi-disciplinary experts, teams and organisations across the public, private and scientific communities to develop:
- Open standards
Frameworks for robust and secure data sharing across environmental & financial data: principles and practice, Code(s) of Practice, voluntary standards, regulated Standards.
- Impact accelerator
Increased speed-to-market of financial and technical products and services that enables investment flow to carbon-zero solutions through partnerships with existing innovation vehicles
- Accreditation & certification services
Products and services that ensure the development of a robust data marketplace
- Research and evidence
Use-cases, reports, business models, economic modelling, policies and guidance.
Reporting on the evidence of innovation and the impact of activities. In public, trade and expert forums.
Bridge the gaps between theory and practice
Connecting expertise across siloes
- Collaborative practices
Working groups (large and small; in-person and online)
Build on the principles of Open Finance & Open Banking and bring together multidisciplinary teams across the public and private sectors.
- Sign-up to our mailing list for invitations and research, or join as a member
- Read our long-form narrative