“Icebreaker One is one of the top 20 agents of change in the path towards a digital ecosystem for sustainability”, United Nations Environment Programme
Imagine a decision-maker could mandate net-zero, continuously measure progress and act to adapt incentives in a timely, credible manner.
We aim to influence investment decisions of $3.6T/year to deliver net-zero by 2030. By unlocking the data infrastructure needed to share environmental & financial data we convene organisations to understand how best to use data as a continuous flow of evidence that informs action.
We help instrument net-zero by connecting policy, strategy, risk management and investment to real-world data to:
- Enable climate-ready financial instruments
- Enable climate-aware risk management
- Enable climate-credible deployment of robust, long-term solutions
Flagship projects — starting with user needs
Icebreaker One is a net-zero market catalyst — exploring how to rapidly evolve our financial and energy systems to embed net-zero into investments and financial decisions in a manner that is demonstrable, provable and uses data to hold market actors to account.
Project Cygnus is exploring how COVID economic recovery can be directed to drive net-zero behaviours at city and regional-levels across Europe. Open Energy is a public-private initiative modernising data sharing across the entire energy grid to deliver a net-zero, decentralised energy future. SERI is helping the insurance sector be a lever of change by developing Climate-Ready products: ensuring that net-zero solutions are protected and incentivised (e.g. some insurers won’t insure EV) as well as driving change so net-destructive industries are no longer financially viable.
- SERI — Standard for Environmental Risk and Insurance
- Open Energy — building the web of energy data
- Cygnus — determining how to finance net-zero COVID-19 economic recovery
Benefits & outcomes
- Address the business models, legal and policy (e.g. rights, licensing, security, liability, regulation) of data sharing
- Develop & share the required expertise and change in knowledge, practice and culture
- Improve the provision, reliability and trust of data publishing
- Develop policy frameworks that address climate-specific interventions across the financial ecosystem
- Unlock the data ecosystem across global sensors, satellites, internet of things (IoT), geospatial, asset registries, risk reporting, trading schemes and financial instruments
- Enable data discovery (e.g. data search) at web-scale: lay the foundations for the web of environmental data
Outputs & activities — instrumenting net-zero
We convene multi-disciplinary experts, teams and organisations across the public, private and scientific communities to develop:
- Open standards
Frameworks for robust and secure data sharing across environmental & financial data: principles and practice, Code(s) of Practice, voluntary standards, regulated Standards.
- Impact accelerator
Increased speed-to-market of financial and technical products and services that enables investment flow to net-zero solutions through partnerships with existing innovation vehicles
- Accreditation & certification services
Products and services that ensure the development of a robust data marketplace
- Research and evidence
Use-cases, reports, business models, economic modelling, policies and guidance.
Reporting on the evidence of innovation and the impact of activities. In public, trade and expert forums.
Bridge the gaps between theory and practice
Connecting expertise across siloes
- Collaborative practices
Working groups (large and small; in-person and online)
Build on the principles of Open Finance & Open Banking and bring together multidisciplinary teams across the public and private sectors.
- Sign-up to our mailing list for invitations and research, or join as a member —https://icebreakerone.org/join
- Read our long-form narrative below