Quick links to video archives:
- Modernising Energy Data — Applications: Competition briefing
- COGx — Open Energy expert panel and James Lovelock interview with Bryony Worthington
- Introducing Project Cygnus: Enabling a net-zero economic recovery from Covid-19
- MEDA briefing — Open Energy public webinars (Kick-off plus Show & Tell)
2020-09-22 MED Applications competition briefing
Our slides below:
Delivering net-zero: How better data sharing can help innovation in UK energy
WHEN: 16 September 2020
Main session — Panel discussion on Open Energy
The Q&A session is below.
Main session — Bryony Worthington and James Lovelock
The Open Banking movement has shown how a sector can transform at a global scale when it reimagines data access and data infrastructure. We believe that the same principle can apply to the energy sector.
Imagine, if at the point of investment, that an investor could demand that the data-flows demonstrate net-zero; at the points of design, construction, operation and decommissioning. Imagine if they could incentivise provable net-zero delivery at each point in this supply chain!
Icebreaker One has launched Open Energy to explore how we can share information across the entire energy network to keep the lights on and drive towards net-zero. The approach focuses on a systemic shift in culture and practice, rather than on developing new technologies. But is the sector ready? Can the energy industry adapt rapidly to a different way of working, aligned with the UK’s National Data Strategy? What will be the challenges along the way and can the energy sector become a positive driver of net-zero?
Join us for a panel discussion with industry leaders and thinkers to talk about how we make open energy a reality.
- Gavin Starks, Founder, Icebreaker One;
- Rosie McGlynn, Senior Programme Manager, PassivSystems;
- Steven Steer, Head of Data, Ofgem;
- Steve Field, IT Lead – Distribution System Operation, ScottishPower Energy Networks;
- Sarah Merrick, CEO & Founder, Ripple Energy;
- James Johnston, CEO & Co-Founder of Piclo; and
- Dinker Bhardwaj, Head of Data Policy, Smart Energy, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
Introducing Project Cygnus:
Enabling a net-zero economic recovery from Covid-19
SEE THE RECORDING: https://icebreakerone.org/2020/08/24/project-cygnus-launch-event-webinar-recording/
ABOUT: The project lanch of Project Cygnus – a €1M EIT Climate-KIC funded programme focused on how to enable a net-zero economic recovery from Covid-19.
If companies, governments and policymakers are serious about delivering upon their legal obligations of net-zero, and dealing with the economic and social threat of climate change, the economic recovery from Covid-19 must focus on the principles of resilience and sustainability.
What is the underlying data infrastructure needed to support this?
- Gavin Starks, CEO and Founder, Icebreaker One;
- Damien McGarrigle, Financial Services & Fintech Team Lead, Global Open Finance Centre of Excellence at University of Edinburgh;
- Andreas Hoepner, Professor of Operational Risk, Banking & Finance, University College Dublin;
- Julie Calkins, Head of Risk Information for Climate Adaptation, EIT Climate-KIC.
MEDA — Open Energy public webinars
A public-access show & tell covering the results of the Modernising Energy Data Access Discovery Phase took place on Wednesday 15 July 1pm-14.30pm with presentation from:
- Siemens (13.00pm – 13.30pm)
- Electron (13.30pm – 14.00pm)
- Icebreaker One (14.00pm – 14.30pm)
Recordings of the Discovery Phase Show & Tell is here (password 3V&r@Wf.2)
Presentations will cover the projects’ activity over the initial 6-week discovery phase plus a brief insight into their plans for next phase (the alpha prototype). More details about the Icebreaker One approach is here: https://icebreakerone.org/energy/
Unlocking the power of data to deliver a net-zero future
SEE THE RECORDING: https://icebreakerone.org/2020/07/08/london-climate-action-week-webinar-recording/
ABOUT: The threat of climate change to the global economy is tangible, and the increase in catastrophic climate events is capable of bankrupting markets and even nation-states. We are already witnessing insurance in some areas becoming untenable – which is a genuine threat to communities and wider society.
This online panel explores the scale of the problem, the challenges and opportunities of using existing data to help develop new insurance products, and presents how Icebreaker One is working to tackle these challenges
- Gavin Starks, Founder, Icebreaker One
- Julie Calkins, Head of Risk Information for Climate Adaptation at Climate-KIC
- Duncan Duffy, Global Head of Technology, Electrotechnical, Lloyd’s Register
- Vanessa Escobar, Lead Scientist for NOAA/NASA GEO-XO User Engagement, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Lisa Horrocks, Climate Resilience, Arup
- Lubomila Jordanova, CEO & Founder, Plan A
Open consultation on Open Energy
Over the coming weeks, as part of the national MEDA programme, we will be exploring how an Energy Data Ecosystem might lay the foundations for our national energy data infrastructure. We will be holding four industry-focused webinars to listen to your ideas, provide an overview of our approach and gather feedback. Each session will follow the same format, incorporating feedback from the previous ones.
We will hold these at 11am on the 19th, 22nd, 29th June and the 6th July. Sign up (free) https://icebreakerone.org/2020/06/01/open-energy/
2020-January: Davos, Switzerland
- Icebreaker One launches £1m funding to develop urgently needed climate-ready financial products
- UN lists Icebreaker One as a top-20 agent of change
- Session — An Innovation Agenda for Climate Resilience, Adaptation and Mitigation Through Data
2019-September: Climate Action Summit, New York
2019-July: Industry round table at the House of Lords, London
We co-hosted a cross-industry roundtable at the House of Lords in London: meeting minutes here.