In September we reconvened our Open Energy Steering Group after the summer break. The Steering Group is comprised of a wide range of industry leaders and subject matter experts, representing a cross section of private and public players with a unique contribution. The Steering Group plays a critical role in Open Energy’s development, providing us with a sector perspective that ensures that Open Energy is designed for and with the energy industry.
We had an in-depth discussion around what is top of mind for the Steering Group members across the energy industry and what they believe is necessary to help move things forward. The Icebreaker One team gave updates on our projects, progress on Open Energy and how we are expanding it across other sectors (e.g. water, transport, net zero).
We highlighted the recently released report by the Energy Systems Catapult, in collaboration with Ovo Energy, Clean energy retail: The role of energy retailers in the net zero transition which states:
“The regulator should mandate Open Energy as an industry wide data sharing mechanism. Open Energy has, via a competition run by government, created a service that enables trusted actors to share data in a consistent way across the energy value chain. Mandating this solution would accelerate its adoption and make consistent an approach, reducing costs and barriers to entry.” (page 20)
Key insights from our Steering Group:
- It is vital to think strategically and think through what enduring capabilities are needed within the sector
- It is important to have a cultural change around data sharing – it is not purely a technology challenge
- There are many different initiatives in the energy sector, they need to be linked up and cohesive in order to maximise the benefits
- A use case led approach is important to demonstrate value and articulate actionable solutions
How you can you support:
- In line with its collaboration principles, its development of Open Energy and its Net Zero mission, Icebreaker One is making an open call for collaboration with organisations in the development of the Digital Spine: Open call for collaboration please share widely: https://icebreakerone.org/2022/09/08/open-call-for-collaboration-digital-spine/
- Please send your feedback on the IB1 trust framework for data sharing: http://icebreakerone.org/ib1-trust-framework-for-data-sharing/